Sweet Beet & Celeriac Slaw
Do you ever get stuck in a veggie rut?? Buying the same three veggies at the store every week... feeling bored as heck?? I get you. Uninspired shopping habits can have us stuck eating the same old things every dang day. So today I’ve got a recipe to help you switch things up! It features a vegetable that I bet 90% of you have never cooked with before… celeriac! (Also known as celery root!)
So here’s your challenge: head to the produce section of your local grocery store and look for the absolute ugliest vegetable you can find. The one that’s knobby and greyish and dirty lookin’... yep, that’s your celeriac! Seriously, it’s hideous. But don’t judge a veggie by it’s harsh exterior!! Celeriac is actually really mild and tasty- sort of like a mix between a sweet potato and celery. It does well in soups or roasted with a little oil and balsamic.
This recipe calls for celeriac in its raw form, shredded up with some other nutritional heavy-hitters like golden beets and fennel. I topped it with a sweet and zingy honey lemon dressing and it came together perfectly- fresh and crunchy and delicious! It works great as the base for a salad bowl or served as a side along with some grass-fed burgers or fish.
I made it for my family when we were on vacation and my grandpa couldn’t get enough... which is saying something because he’s usually the one picking the spinach and peas out of everything, if you know what I mean. Try it out on your non-veggie-loving friends and see what they think! I bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised with just how yummy a nice mix of raw vegetables can be!
P.S. I have to give mad credit to my friend Elita for inspiring me to try the humble celeriac several months ago. Her celeriac evangelism converted me 100%, so now I'm paying it forward!
Sweet Beet & Celeriac Slaw
1 small celeriac
1 golden beet
1 green apple
1 large bulb of fennel
1 handful mint (or parsley or cilantro)
4 green onions
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup raw honey
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut or peel off the outer layer of the celeriac and cut into quarters. Do the same with the beet and the apple, removing the core of the apple as well.
2. Cut off the tops of the fennel and slice the bulb into quarters (or half, depending on how big it is).
3. Start shredding! Using a box grater or a food processor with a shredding attachment, grate the celeriac, apple, beet and fennel into a large bowl.
4. On a fine grater, zest the whole peel of the lemon and add to the bowl.
5. Finely chop the mint (or cilantro or parsley) and green onions and add to the mixture.
6. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper. Stir together thoroughly.
7. Toss the slaw together with tongs, then pour the dressing over top and toss again. Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.